WITH GREAT POWERS
quick links
staff
updates

WITH GREAT POWERS

Add Reply
New Poll

The one with the really, really crazy taxi driver., tag: Marc Spector YOU WACKY BOY
CLAIRE E. ST. CLAIRE
 Posted: Feb 8 2018, 06:47 PM

30 years old
Human
24 posts

"--Ohh my god, thanks for pulling over. Christ, it's awful out there."

Into a random taxi cab, on a terribly rainy day, Claire the bartender spilled.

user posted image

Things hadn't been going so well for her that morning. She'd taken the day off, which meant she was stepping outside her usual routine, the first mistake of the day. Following that, she'd made the decision to meet her friend @MELISSA GOLD at a hole-in-the-wall Mexican place for lunch, had consequently had to wait over an hour for the bluenette to show up, and as a result, didn't make it home before the rain in the forecast came pouring down over New York City.

As one could predict, the crowds on the streets surged into all available cabs once the waterworks really started ramping up, and Claire had contemplated actually murdering someone on purpose in the interest of getting a ride of her own. Fortunately, she hadn't had to result to that; a cab at the very last moment instead pulled around the corner, and she'd hailed it with every ounce of damsel she could muster.

At least she wasn't wearing white. The woman in the back seat of the cab sighed, pulled her gray sweater closer around herself, and peered into the rear-view mirror to meet the driver's eyes.

"Um, I need to get to Brooklyn. You know where the CVS is on 112th? Start heading toward there, please. Thanks."

She sighed and flopped back against the seat, short-cropped locks clinging to her temples and forehead. The leftovers in her bag would hopefully be OK at the end of the trip, and as she buckled her seat belt, she was very grateful indeed that she'd settled on a salad and not the grilled cheese.

@MARC SPECTOR suuuuuuuuuuuuuuh dude
PM
^
MARC SPECTOR
 Posted: Feb 8 2018, 11:05 PM

33 years old
Moon Knight
Human
15 posts

Jake cat in his car down the street. He had a book beside him, a note book with various mental notes and findings. The pen sat on top of it, the cap off. The tip was still fresh with ink. He was lying if he didn't say he was working. Not just as a cab driver, but with some other things as well. He was following a lead, well one Crawley's. Find the person causing all the fuss. He would find them, and then Moon Knight would take care of them. That's how it worked. But first he needed some answers.

You'd be surprised how easy it was to blend in, especially in a cab. He looked up in the rear view mirror, turning it to himself. He checked himself, giving a smirk to his reflection as he aimed it back. He blended it really well. It was even easier to follow something. Right now it led him to following a woman from a bar, a club. The guy he was after had been there, he had almost had him, but he slipped in the door. Now he needed answers on what the guy was doing there, what they looked like. A name at best. This woman looked like the only normal person to step out of there, the easiest to talk to.

As she left the restaurant Jake pulled the cab to the side. The sudden rain fall seemed to be a blessing. He cutthe car off in front of him, hearing it honk its horn in frustration. When the woman spilled in he looked up to meet her eyes in the mirror.

"Yeah I can get you there. Bridge may be closed. Dam wreck on there today. Hope you don't mind a detour, probably have it still closed." He pulled into traffic and set off on the way. "I can cut the time in half with a short cut once were across though."

He continued straight down the road. "Hell of a rain storm, last thing we need right now. The snow was bad enough without the rain on it. Make my job hell of a lot harder." He looked in the mirror again. Some people didn't want to talk, some didn't mind a little chit chat. He always had to judge a person as the entered. The woman he couldn't read.

@CLAIRE E. ST. CLAIRE | Let me know if I need changes.

PM
^
CLAIRE E. ST. CLAIRE
 Posted: Feb 9 2018, 10:28 AM

30 years old
Human
24 posts

Claire was not a talking person.

"Oh, really? Ugh, that sucks. I mean, with the city the way it is, though, any day there's not a detour..."

However, she wasn't rude, at least not unnecessarily so. While she secretly wished she could get away with spending the entire cab ride alone in the back, staring at her cellphone as though it had something important to show her for once, she realized pretty immediately that this was going to be one of those rides where conversation flowed in and out like water - theme of the day, she supposed.

"Feels like Texas," she replied, as if she'd ever been there. "My dad always tells me if you don't like the weather down there, you can just wait ten minutes and it'll change."

Time for an awkward lull in the conversation. Claire sucked her bottom lip in for a few seconds and peered out the window at all the blurry people shuffling along the pavement, umbrellas poking up over their heads. They looked like ants. Did she look like that, too? Maybe she'd been just another ant to this driver until she'd got in his cab.

"You native?"

She wasn't - maybe he knew that already from the way she talked, although she'd certainly given it her all over the years to make herself sound like a natural New Yorker. Then again, not many of them were - almost everyone she knew was a transplant, herself included. She smiled a little into the rear-view mirror, then turned her head and looked out the window as their journey together began; at least now she could relax some, being out of the rain.

@MARC SPECTOR it was TERRIBLE my GOD!!!! nah, good post man. Mine is a little short, but hey, that's how small talk starts. Cheers!
PM
^
MARC SPECTOR
 Posted: Feb 14 2018, 05:26 AM

33 years old
Moon Knight
Human
15 posts

"It's more that I need to say it, some argue that I go anyway, just trying to cheat them money. Get there have to turn around and then they refuse to pay because the detour wasn't their fault, how were they supposed to know. Despite the meter running they can be stubborn. Have to cover my ass you know." He didn't know, Jake wasn't a real cabby. He had a cab yes, it looked like a real one. Had documents and signs like actual ones. They were easy to get. It was easy to reproduce when Steven had money. It was dirty, the cab, like it had seen lots of use. But it was kept in a clean garage and tuned by a mechanic quite often.

What he was doing was illegal, but it was a good way to get information. He could sit at the diner or the bar with other drivers, learn all about the gossip on the streets. He had connections from them. The world thought Jake was a real cab driver, but he was far from it. He drove who he wanted, when he wanted. Now Uber was killing his stake out.

He kept a steady pace. As she asked if he was native he looked in the rear view mirror to look at her. Was Jake native, this was where he started, where he first came tomthrive. He wasn't needed until now, was he as native as Steven or Marc? No he wasn't, none of them were. At one point or another Chicago had been their home. Even it had been a short while for him. They had all been kids there, funny they found their way to New York, none stayed behind. Guess Marc needed his friends.

"Nope, from Chicago. Been here a few years though. Like it, not to different, but enough. More interesting people. More wackos, but more interesting people too." He reached for the centre console. In the cup holder was a case of toothpicks. Jake shook one out as he drove. Popping it in his mouth he continued on the way.

"What about you, you mentioned Texas, that where you're from? How long you been in the city?" Long enough to work at a bar. Not just a tourist. But that didn't mean much. People, came and went to this city often enough. He wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't local. Hardly anyone truly was.

@CLAIRE E. ST. CLAIRE

PM
^
CLAIRE E. ST. CLAIRE
 Posted: Feb 17 2018, 01:05 PM

30 years old
Human
24 posts

"Oh, right on. Yeah, I can imagine people get pretty bitchy about that kind of thing..."

The problem with small talk: it was small talk, and therefore not especially interesting or engaging beyond a superficial level. Claire wasn't a neanderthal, however, and so despite her antisocial tendencies, she was able to make the conversation seem natural enough - and the cabby played along well, too. Eh, they'd probably just get through the basics, find a nice point in the discussion to start politely ignoring each other, and then she'd be on her way.

"Chicago, cool!" Was Chicago cool? She didn't know. It had an aquarium and a gun problem. Never been. Uh, no, I've never been to Texas, either, actually..." Big surprise. "My dad has family there, though, I guess. I'm from Alaska."

Perfect. No one ever asked too much about Alaska; the rest of the United States seemed to forget it existed half the time, except for when wealthy couples decided they wanted a romantic cruise without having to deal with international waters. Now seemed like a natural point in the conversation to drop out of it, and so Claire leaned back in her seat and propped her elbow up on the window's edge, forehead resting in her palm. The rain outside was just heavy enough to provide a dull drum in the background, like a lullaby for gloomy people such as herself.

... although something did feel off.

She shifted a little in her seat, not entirely able to focus on her phone the way she'd like to. Her eyes darted up toward the rear-view mirror out of curiosity, then to the side of the driver's head, since she couldn't really see his face. Oh, shit. Maybe he was going to ask her something about Alaska.

@MARC SPECTOR
PM
^
MARC SPECTOR
 Posted: Today at 07:26 pm

33 years old
Moon Knight
Human
15 posts

Jake continued on down the road. He changed lanes and swerved in and around a car. It wasn't uncommon for a cab driver to be a little mor agressive. If you weren't you lost your fare. Luckily Jake didn't have to be. He was a cab driver for information only. He was looking for answers and the people who had them. This woman, her bar. The guy he was following who entered there, that was all he wanted. A fare and tips. He didn't care about. Money wasn't important to him right now. Never really had been. Afterall Steven had it covered.

The other drivers had complained enough about people not wanting to pay. Being to drunk to pay. Phones, wallets, bracelets, even purses went missing. Some taken right from them. If it covered the fair, good enough. That was there problem. Doors locked for a reason. Jake didn't have that problem though. He let the meter run, but it didn't click up as fast as the others. He wasn't about the money.

"Alaska huh? I always seem to forget about that place. Never been." Not much use for Moon Knight in Alaska. He was needed here, or Chicago, or LA. He was needed where trouble was. Not in the snow. Like right now, tracking a serial killer. All the deaths so far, strung up the same way. All different victims. Different age, gender, race. Different working class and different areas. But all the kills were the same. Around the same time, done the same way. And no one had any leads. They assumed to be all random. It was, crazy and random. But Jake was good with crazy and random.

"So what do you do for work that you can take the day off? Or you work the night shift?" Not many people had lunch meetings in the middle of the day, not dressed like that. They wore suits and conducted official meetings. This early in the day they tended to need to work. Jake knew what she did for work though. She worked at the bar. Either that or a regular. He hadn't actually gone inside, but he could still get answers. If not, it would be time to pay the bar a visit.

"Or do you work at the CVS?" He continued down the roads, moving off from the main stretch to cut through some other streets. It was faster this way. Plus the less traffic on the roads meant he could focus on her conversation. Before he got serious with his questions.

@CLAIRE E. ST. CLAIRE

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

skin made by mstx at cttw, shine, & atf
toggle sidebar by subdevo and custom forum structure by black