Whisperer1
28 years old
It Guy/ "Leader" of the Brigade
117 posts
Human
Sticks
EST
@DAISY JOHNSON
Rick typed in his quick encryption cipher, securing his laptop from any outside interference. Entering the Brigade site was always risky, but this significantly lessened the risk. Someone would have to hack his laptop first in order to find out that he'd been anywhere near the site to begin with.

He started scrolling through the interface, checking the forum for any news, any developments, and any new members. Finding one, he found it most curious 'Skye87'. "...no, it couldn't be." He muttered, pulling up the profile and then selecting the option to private message them. It wasn't that out there, he did this for everyone who joined, made it a point to do so, in fact. Just like the eighty-five people who separated them on the site. They were all part of the same network, after all.

It paid to do that little bit of waving in the long run.

Hello there! Welcome to the Brigade. If you have any questions, feel free to direct them at me, I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Either way, thanks for joining up.

- Whisperer

He clicked send and went back to checking things on the site. It was likely just some big coincidence, after all.
Posted: Apr 7 2018, 01:50 PM
DAISY JOHNSON
years old
0 posts
Given the inherent secrecy baked into the overall philosophy which spawned the Dark 'Net, you'd think that news wouldn't spread so rapidly through such channels. Or at least that people wouldn't speak so openly about certain things, and in such plain language. And yet, while lurking through some of her old forum haunts, Daisy had discovered more than a few threads discussing a new group that'd appeared in the last year or so. The way some of the posters in those threads described them, the group was a pseudo-Baker Street Irregulars/Underground Railroad sort of deal. At least, allegedly. But she was never one to act purely on hearsay.

So, equal parts intrigued and paranoid, Daisy followed the breadcrumbs through the dark side of the World Wide Web, hoping to find out more about this "Brigade," as they apparently called themselves. Everything she found indicated that they were on the up and up, but the rodent part of her brain that assumed the entire world was out to get her couldn't help but insist that it was some kind of SRU sting. Nevertheless, upon finding the Brigade's website (Hidden behind a fake website for a real estate brokerage; give them this much, these guys were smart), she figured the only way to confirm or dismiss her suspicions was to sign up.

Secure behind a VPN, a firewall which she'd designed personally, as well as an encryption cipher, she put in her old standby username of "Skye" and a password, and went about setting up a profile.

It wasn't long before she got a ping in her private message inbox. Daisy did a doubletake at the username from which it was sent. "Whisperer." Could it...? Nah, it'd be too much of a coincidence...

Regardless, ever-so-curious, she began typing up a response, gently probing to get a feel for what this whole operation was like. And maybe figure out who this "Whisperer" was.

Hi!

So, a friend in my little circle of hacktivists pointed me in your guys' direction a couple days ago. Rising Tide, Anonymous, that kind of thing. I used to do something similar to what you guys seem to be doing, back around 2013, but I've been out of the game for a while. I figured if I wanted to get back in, it wouldn't hurt to offer my services. So... here I am.

- Skye

Hitting send, Daisy began obsessively pressing F5, watching her inbox like a hawk. If "Whisperer" was who she thought he was, he'd pick up on the mention of Rising Tide. And probably realize that 2013 had been the last time they'd ever been in touch.

@RICHARD JONES
Posted: Apr 7 2018, 09:28 PM
Whisperer1
28 years old
117 posts
Human
Sticks
EST
@DAISY JOHNSON

Rick filtered his way through a great deal of posts. Some of them asking for help, some still unanswered. So much to do...so much to do. He knew the people of the Brigade were capable, but he thought of so many other superhumans who were either going without help...or had already been taken in. Another few souls who were dragged away into the dark, never to be seen again.

Then the new message tone came up over his speakers. Checking it again, it was...Skye87. Clicking it, he read her message. The Rising Tide? Rick hadn't heard from anyone in that group for ages, ever since before Sokovia. There were some still out there, of course...but he'd had no contact.

This was getting to be too much to be a coincidence.

Well, we're happy to have anyone who's willing to help out onboard. Your skills with the Rising Tide will definitely be useful here. Since 2013? I wonder if I might know you...you went by the same name then, did you?

Rick looked the message over and was about to send it when he decided to risk something. Pulling up a separate window and a secure webcam chat channel, he pasted the link into the message and added...

Secure video chat, if you'd prefer to be a bit more vocal.

They had video chatted, once in a blue moon, in the past. His camera was, at the moment, turned off so his image was not projected. A typical precaution that he took just in case. Video chats were, after all, a very rare thing anymore. Most of his internet friends remained that - strictly internet.

Still...if this was Skye, then she'd pick up.

Then, he'd know.

And maybe, just maybe, he'd get a few answers.
Posted: Apr 7 2018, 09:50 PM
DAISY JOHNSON
years old
0 posts
She honestly had other things she could be doing right now. But then, wasn't that always the case? She still hadn't fully decrypted those financial ledgers she'd gotten from that gala. And she still had a message she somehow needed to get to L.A., bundled together with a fat stack of cash. Gift for a friend. And yet Daisy simply sat there, a bruised hand hovering over her keyboard, occasionally tapping the refresh hotkey.

After a few minutes or so, a new message appeared in her inbox, signaled by an electronic chirp from her laptop's speakers. Opening it, her dark eyes scanned the words on her screen, while she gnawed on her lower lip despite the fact that it was very much still swollen. Well, this "Whisperer" had certainly picked up the hints she'd dropped. The chances that the SRU would have the time or the patience to dig so deeply into her background just to catch her in an online sting were... pretty slim. So she was fairly convinced that this was the guy.

She was about to type a response when she noticed the link to the video chat lobby. God, they did used to do that, didn't they? Daisy glanced at her surroundings; her van was more of a mess than usual, with basically every panel adorned with papers, maps, photographs, and string. Lots and lots of string. The only light came in from the skylight above. Sighing, she pulled off the tape she kept over the laptop's webcam and clicked the link.

A black screen opened up, and the green light next to the camera blinked on, small frame in the corner of the screen showing that yes, the camera was live and she was being recorded. A popup came up, asking if she wanted the video chat program to access her microphone, and she clicked yes.

"Hey Rick. It's been a while." She said, flashing a small smile for the camera.

@RICHARD JONES
Posted: Apr 8 2018, 01:10 AM
Whisperer1
28 years old
117 posts
Human
Sticks
EST
@DAISY JOHNSON
Rick stared at the video image as it came into focus for several seconds. There was Skye, smiling brightly. He turned on his video camera and stared back for a bit, opening and closing his mouth several times. His room was in a similar state of disarray as Skye's van was (at least, it looked like it was the inside of a van?) so he wasn't going to hold it against her.

Not that he would, anyway.

"...so I'm assuming you fell off of the grid after robbing all those Hot Topic stores?" It was the first thing out of Rick's mouth. Rather uncharacteristically snarky of him. "Skye, I...it's good to see you, but like..." He didn't even know where to begin. "Where have you been? You just like...disappeared...what, almost five years ago now?" He asked. She'd completely disappeared almost five years ago now. But she was back, now. It was...surreal, to say the least.
Posted: Apr 8 2018, 08:43 AM
DAISY JOHNSON
years old
0 posts
Daisy averted her eyes for a moment, feeling Rick's own gaze on her through the screen. He hadn't seemed to change much, just looking at him. He was simply older. She was older, too. Not just in body, but in spirit. Would he be able to process just how much she had changed?

She laughed at the Hot Topic comment, before holding a middle finger up to the camera. "You're an ass." He still seemed to have a sense of humor, at least. It was good to see that much hadn't changed. Staring at her laptop screen, Daisy chewed on her thumbnail as Rick asked her where exactly she'd been in the past half decade or so.

"Yeah, it's been about five years." She said with a nod, figuring it'd be best to start with the easy-to-answer questions and work her way up. "I'm sorry I disappeared, Rick. I really am. And I wish I could explain where I've been, but I really dunno if you'd believe me." Still, she should at least try, shouldn't she? She owed him some kind of explanation, at least.

"Y'know S.H.I.E.L.D., right? Big international intelligence agency? Like, bigger than the CIA?" Daisy paused, as if to consider whether she was actually going to say this out loud. Even went so far as to glance around, despite being pretty damn isolated, all considered. "Well, they uh... they recruited me around the same time I disappeared. Don't believe me, poke around. My old personnel file should be somewhere in the data that got leaked during that disaster in D.C."

@RICHARD JONES
Posted: Apr 11 2018, 04:31 PM
Whisperer1
28 years old
117 posts
Human
Sticks
EST
@DAISY JOHNSON

Rick found himself laughing as Skye flipped him off. It didn't seem that she'd changed that much. "What can I say? You rubbed off on me." He joked again. It was almost as though there hadn't been a five year radio silence from her, the pair of them picking up again as though no time had passed at all.

Wouldn't believe her? "Given the last few years, believe me, I could believe quite a bit." He said. With the way the world was going, he'd be surprised if she told him something absolutely mundane like Witness Protection or something. But... "Whoa, dude. Seriously?" He blinked at her mentioning that she'd been recruited by, of all things, SHIELD. "No, no, I believe you." Rick had known Skye to lie on occasion, but never about anything like this. Not this big.

"Wait, so you joined up with them? Why?" Rick asked. He remembered the Rising Tide days, the group not looking to favorably on SHIELD. Something must have changed to shift her paradigm a bit...and that's when he got a bit paranoid. Sure, SHIELD wasn't what they were before, but they were still poking around things and could be a problem.

Especially if one of their agents knew him.

"...are...are you working for them now?" He asked, trying to sound casual. If she wasn't, then he could relax...if not, then he had some serious work to do in the few minutes before somebody would surely come knocking at his door.
Posted: Apr 11 2018, 05:33 PM
DAISY JOHNSON
years old
0 posts
Rick's laughter emanated from her laptop speakers, causing her to join in, though her own chuckles were far more subdued. Daisy had forgotten how much she'd missed this. Missed Rick. They'd always been the odd ones out in the Rising Tide; not nearly as paranoid and secretive as the others in the group's loosely defined ranks. And he'd always known how to make her laugh.

When he expressed surprise at her having been picked up by S.H.I.E.L.D., she nodded, actually smiling proudly at the fact. She would never regret her time serving under Coulson. He was a big part of the reason why she was the woman she was today, for better or worse. And she'd never trade it in. Daisy brushed her bangs back, wincing as her finger tips rubbed against the bruise above her eyebrow, while Rick questioned her motives for actually joining up. "Because they were the only people who had any idea who I was, Rick. What I was. They had files on me in their servers, dating back to '89." Her eyes fell to her lap, her dark brown locks draping before her face and forming a curtain. "They helped me find my birth parents."

She looked up at the screen, resting a hand on an aching shoulder. "I'm not with them anymore. I... I left because I screwed up. People got hurt and it was my fault." A shaky breath passed her lips, and her entire body shuddered. Even talking about her time under Hive's sway indirectly was almost too much, even now. "S.H.I.E.L.D.'s nothing like what we thought they were, Rick. They're good people, trying to keep the world safe. For humans and... 'gifted' people like me. They take them in, show them how to control their gifts. We only locked people away if they were active threats. And killing's an absolute last resort."

A pause, during which Daisy pulled her legs close to her chest and rested her chin on her knees. "My C.O. and my team helped me discover myself, Rick. Gave me something to believe in. A family, even. You can understand that, right?"

@RICHARD JONES
Posted: Apr 14 2018, 09:52 PM
Whisperer1
28 years old
117 posts
Human
Sticks
EST
@DAISY JOHNSON

Well, that was...different. Out of all the people that Rick would expect to hear a glowing recommendation about S.H.I.E.L.D. from, Skye had been the absolute last. Nevertheless, here they were now. Still, the way Skye spoke about them...she had to have been through a lot with them, to think of them like this. Maybe the Rising Tide had been wrong about S.H.I.E.L.D. after all. Even with what had happened with those HYDRA guys and that mess over the Potomac River.

But that wasn't the most shocking part, really. That came when Skye mentioned that they had known who her birth parents were. His eyes widened. "No way!" It had been something that had always bugged Skye, he knew. It had been one of the things they'd bonded over - lost parents. But Rick had known where his were, sad to say. Skye hadn't...but now, she did. "Where...I mean...Who...I mean...what happened? How did they do it?" He asked rather clumsily, about a billion different questions coming to mind in the fraction of a second after Skye had told him that.

Rick looked even more confused as Skye seemed...pained about talking about something that had happened. She'd hurt people? Skye? Rick didn't believe it for a second. She went on, talking more about S.H.I.E.L.D. and the things they had done. "Wait...gifted?" Rick raised a brow. He didn't remember Skye having any kind of superpowers. "What were you...I don't know...exposed to gamma radiation? Super Soldier Serum? Found out you were the daughter of aliens?" Given how the world was going, there was very little that Rick wouldn't believe.

At her words, Rick nodded slowly. "Yeah...yeah, I can, Skye." It reminded him of when he moved in with his Aunt, a few years after his parents died in that car wreck. "...oh, I didn't get to tell you. My Aunt passed." He said, it coming to him with that thought. Not to change the subject, but Skye had been the only person in the Rising Tide to know about Aunt Polly, much less her name.

Skye had often liked to hear the stories of Rick's former world traveling, adventure-prone aunt.
Posted: Apr 15 2018, 08:22 AM
DAISY JOHNSON
years old
0 posts
The surprise in Rick's face, his voice caused Daisy to smile, despite the heavy subject matter. They'd talked about parents before, or more accurately, the lack of them. It'd been a commonality, something the two of them had shared. There'd been more than a few nights when she'd tell him what she thought her parents were doing, or he'd share a memory of his mom and dad, when they didn't have anything else to talk about. Maybe it'd been childish, but she liked to think it'd helped. Both him and her.

Daisy let out a sigh and rolled up the sleeves of her sweater, mostly to check on her bandages. Not for fractures, for once. Just a couple knife wounds that'd gone deeper than she would've liked. But she wasn't seeing any red, so that must've meant the stitches she'd done were holding up. "It's a really long and complicated thing, and no, I'm not just saying that to worm out of spilling the details. There's just... a lot of threads to follow. They had to work backwards from my file, dig into some restricted archives. And even then, we didn't find my parents so much as they found me."

Then Rick caught on to the mention of her being "gifted," and the theories and speculation began soaring out of his mouth, through his mic, and out her laptop speakers. She'd seen this coming a mile away, but it was still endearing, seeing him get all worked up like this. The spark of life in him hadn't guttered out. Good. That last guess had her break out into laughter for a good five or six seconds. "That, uh... That last one's actually pretty close to the mark." Daisy said with a smile, her eyes meeting Rick's through the computer screen. "I'm an Inhuman, Rick."

The news about Rick's aunt caused Daisy to clasp her hands over her mouth. She'd never met Polly Jones. All she knew of the woman had been secondhand via Rick. But she'd sounded amazing. A globetrotter, somebody who'd led an exciting and full life. The knowledge of her passing hurt. It hurt like something had been ripped out of her body. She could only imagine how Rick felt. "Oh my god... Rick, I'm so sorry. I should've-" What? Should've what? Been there for him? Not disappeared, like she had with Matt? "...I'm sorry."

Daisy cast her eyes down to the floor, gnawing her lower lip. "Rick, it's... it's obvious we both got a lot we wanna talk about. And I don't know about you, but I'd rather do it face to face. In person. Is there someplace safe we can meet?"

@RICHARD JONES
Posted: May 12 2018, 02:25 AM
Whisperer1
28 years old
117 posts
Human
Sticks
EST
@DAISY JOHNSON

Rick was amazed. Skye had finally found her parents, or they had found her. He had so many questions about that. Rick knew that Skye had never known her parents, and so it had always been a sore subject for her. Sometimes, though, she and Rick had often speculated on what they might have been like. The way Skye talked about them, though, the more Rick thought there was a lot, lot more to the story. "So...what? They were involved in S.H.I.E.L.D. or...?" The first of a hundred questions that spiraled out of his mind and that was the first of them. Naturally.

He rattled off all the things he could think of for superhuman origins. He was about to get to magic (because, honestly, at this point he wouldn't be surprised) when Skye began laughing uproariously and very much catching him off guard. "...wait, seriously?" He asked when she pronounced herself an Inhuman. "Wait, Inhumans are aliens?!" Skye was originally from another planet? Or her genetic material was, at least? He knew about the gas release that had seen the sudden uptick in the so-called Inhumans, but he hadn't thought alien from that.

Then again, the way the world was going, he was - again - not overly surprised.

"Next you're gonna tell me you've changed your name." Rick said, jokingly...and then an awkward moment of silence fell between the two. "...so does S.H.I.E.L.D. have some kind of test to determine if someone's psychic, or am I just really good at making guesses?"

"Thanks." Rick said with a sad smile. Polly Jones had been a light in his world, and that light was gone now, sadly. It hurt. Every day, but he kept on. Aunt Polly wouldn't have wanted him to mope endlessly about it. She'd said herself she had led a full life and would be glad to finally get some sleep. "It was in her sleep, though. Nice and peaceful." That had been some comfort, given the seizures she had been suffering from near the end as well as her dementia.

When Skye mentioned a safe place to meet. "Uh, yeah..." He thought it over, thinking of a few safe locations. There weren't many, the Brigade wasn't a massively widespread thing with a lot of manpower, but he knew of a safehouse or two in places. "There's a coffee shop on 5th and 17th - the Daily Grind." Rick said. He knew the owner, a Mrs. Shirley Washington. She was kind and discreet. "Meet me there. Say...tomorrow? About eleven? Just ask for a Postmaster with double foam from the lady at the counter."

A codeword for someone who ran a safehouse, namely Rick or - in this case- Mrs. Shirley.

Of course, Rick still wasn't 100% on whether or not this was a sting operation by S.H.I.E.L.D....but he would give Skye the benefit of the doubt. He owed her that much.
Posted: May 12 2018, 10:18 AM
DAISY JOHNSON
years old
0 posts
The question of whether her bio parents had been involved with S.H.I.E.L.D. caused Daisy to scratch the back of her head and glance off to the side. Depending on perspective, she could easily say that Zabo and Jiaying had been deeply involved with S.H.I.E.L.D. In a very unorthodox sense. "Not... really? Like, they weren't agents, if that's what you're asking. Like I said, it's complicated."

She wasn't laughing to be a jerk. Rick's surprise at the revelations she was throwing at him, and his subsequent enthusiasm while tossing out theories weren't what she found funny. Daisy simply found it hilarious that even with the fact that they'd been out of contact for a little over half a decade, they so easily slid back into their old dynamic. Holding up a hand to her mouth to stifle her laughter, she brought up a finger to indicate she needed a minute. "Alien experiments, technically, but yeah." She said with a grin and a nod.

And then Rick made an offhand joke about her changing her name, which made Daisy snort out loud as she held back yet more cackling. "I mean, I'm sure S.H.I.E.L.D.'s encountered psychics before, but I can't tell you if they have a test for it or anything."

Letting out a sigh, Daisy reached off to her left and picked up her thermos, coffee sloshing inside as she took a massive gulp. There was a sad smile on her face as she pulled the thermos away from her lips, while Rick explained that his aunt had gone peacefully in her sleep. But she didn't say anything further. What else could be said?

She opened up a notepad window when Rick said that there was a place that they could meet, keys clacking as she rapidly typed the information he gave her. "Yeah, I can make an eleven o'clock." She murmured, as much for her benefit as for his. Saying it out loud so she remembered not to miss the meetup for some reason or another. Looking directly into the webcam, she smiled. "So... I guess I'll see you tomorrow, Rick. Stay safe out there, alright?"

And with a short wave goodbye, she signed off.

@RICHARD JONES | Think that's a good place to wrap, unless you wanted to get the last word in. We can do the in-person thread when we close out the Daisy/Doom thread.
Posted: May 31 2018, 08:57 PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

TOPIC OPTIONS.   ADD REPLY.  NEW TOPIC.  NEW POLL.  

skin created exclusively for WITH GREAT POWERS by NOÄ of CTTW.
RPG-D Shadowplay Topsites Marvel Topsites

Candyland Couture Δrk City GODS AMONG MEN ideal world “WOK”/ GLITTER & GOLD