Any Distraction in a Storm, Tag: Jean Grey
ORORO MUNROE
 Posted: Nov 16 2017, 02:45 PM

27 years old
Storm
Mutant
20 posts

NOVEMBER 2, 2017, 1:30 PM
Anyone who saw Ororo right now knew instinctively not to get in her way. Little eddies of wind pushed åt the edges of her skirt as she walked down the hall, her powers flaring slightly in her irritation. Whenever she was mad or tense or sad, anytime intense emotions flooded her breast, it always became more difficult to hold the power of the storm at bay. Usually, she was able to keep her temper in check, åble to hold back the full force of the elements, but there were a few people who knew how to push her buttons just so, just enough to push her to the edge of her own limits on control, and any time she had to meet with that..,woman, she was certain to leave with a need to soothe her spirit.

Her jaw was set in a hard line and, though they were not glowing, her eyes held a warning for anyone she passed. She’d never been timid about sharing her feelings and opinions about any number of topics, but she knew she needed to calm herself, knew intimately the effects she could wrought upon the natural world if her emotions were left unchecked. When she was younger, she would revel in her emotions, let them out in any manner of ways with her abilities. It was an intoxicating feeling, being tapped into the power of Mother Nature. But she had since learned the true destructive powers of her abilities, knew she must hold herself to a different level of control than other mutants. Even beyond that, she was a role model for these kids, a living example of what could be achieved if you learned and grew with your powers and kept them in control. She had a responsibility to them not to give into the temptation to drench her office rainwater. She would try. But she would need a friend’s help.

“There you are, Jean, wonderful. I am in the mood for a Danger Room session. Would you care to join me?”

She stepped into Jean’s office without knocking, a habit born of familiarity, finding her friend at her desk. Ororo’s tone was oddly hard and formal, the way it got when she was extremely wound up or tense, lacking her usual warmth. She would revert to the way she used to speak when she was relatively new to the English language, each word carefully thought out and pronounced. She always spoke with a certain regal elegance, choosing her words carefully, but it was when she was angry that they became clipped and precise, as if by adding structure to her speaking, she could build a bulwark to hold back the rising tide. Structure would keep her temper in line. Structure, and the opportunity to blow some things up. The storm didn’t enjoy being held at bay. Occasionally, it was therapeutic to release it’s true strength.

Notes: I’m kinda implying it’s Emma she’s angry about (cause lbr, she’s a bitch lol) but Ororo totally would rather talk about anything else. Or just blow things up, option two haha
@JEAN GREY
PM
^
JEAN GREY
 Posted: Nov 21 2017, 06:04 PM

27 years old
Marvel Girl
Mutant
94 posts

Papers were scattered across her desk, essays and a couple of folders. The pen in her hand was twirled in a way that seemed restless but Jean couldn't find enough focus to do much of anything. It was frustrating to say the least. To her left sat an empty coffee mug, her favorite one, the one she'd bought a couple of years ago from the local shelter. She knew its contents was since long gone but yet she lifted the cup to her mouth and only sighed at herself finding it out, for the second time within half an hour. To say that she was distracted was putting it mildly. She would read the words that laid in front of her, line by line but yet she remembering nothing when she stopped. The open window brought in crisp November air but it didn't seemed to be enough to wake her so she closed the window with a wave over her shoulder.

Jean settled her elbows onto the surface of her desk and allowed for her chin to rest in her hands, mind drawing back to a previous moment not too far back in time. Mystique had made her way into the school, appeared as one of her best friends. Had fooled and distracted her. It stung, like someone rubbing salt in an open wound. There were so many other things she needed and should do but the moments with Raven, piled together and tugged at her attention, continuously. She considered all the ifs and buts, despite it being no use. Eventually, Jean just pushed herself back from the desk in an attempt to create some distance from her thoughts, chair scraping lightly against the floor.

It was in that moment, the psychic took notice of a strong presence further down the hall, sitting straight up as she awaited the familiar signature, the destination an educated guess given at which speed and intensity it was approaching. Jean had her green eyes direted towards the door and when Storm arrived, she offered a smile. Her lips had parted to form a greeting but Ororo preceded her but the request had her chuckle lightly. "That didn't go unnoticed," she remarked as she tempered the smile somewhat to not appear indifference, because she was not. Inquiring the reason for the flare of temper seemed like it was left to a little bit later, so Jean stood up and nodded. "I could definitely do with both the training and the change of pace."

She moved towards the door way and her friend and then opted to lead the way towards the elevator that would take them down to the sub-basement. Jean was peeling her sweater off in the elevator and upon arrival she took a direct right to grab a change of clothes, one that was much more suitable for the Danger Room, than jeans and a sweater. "Do you want to talk about it?" Jean asked, despite already thinking she could guess the answer but she wouldn't forgive herself if she was wrong and hadn't at least offered the opportunity.

@ORORO MUNROE | apologies for the wait!
PMEmail
^
ORORO MUNROE
 Posted: Dec 4 2017, 03:52 PM

27 years old
Storm
Mutant
20 posts

Ororo allowed herself an internal sigh of relief, letting go of some of the tension she held so tightly in her chest. Just the presence of a friend was enough to help her remember that, though there were those who would seek to push her off balance, the mansion was still a safe haven, full of friends and allies who shared her common goals. Whenever she was in doubt, she knew there were those who would set her mind at ease once more.

“Change of pace. Exactly. Shall we?”

She was appreciative of the silence as they made their down into the bowels of the building. After years of friendship, it didn’t take words for them to reassert their support for each other, and Jean could obviously see, even without her powers, that Ororo needed a few moments to sort out her thoughts. As they stepped out, Ororo allowed Jean to lead the way into the changing area. Her own tank top and skirt seemed much less appropriate for the impending winter weather than Jean’s sweater; with her natural immunity to the vagaries of the weather, she was able to retain her freedom of wear even in the bitterest of cold. Ororo couldn’t help letting out an irritated scoff at Jean’s question as she pulled her shirt over her head.

“If I never have to speak about it again, it will be too soon.”

It was rare to see such obvious and virtually tangible ire emanating so palpably from the weather witch. There weren’t many things that could get under her skin...well, not exactly true. Ororo was passionate about many things and all of them affected her viscerally. But she had learned to let most of them roll off her back, to move forward without allowing her emotions to sully her control of the elements. Still, it was with with terse movements that she began to pull on her combat outfit. She stopped herself in the middle of zipping up the black combat boots, sinking to the bench as she let herself be overcome by her thoughts.

“Jean, may I ask you a question?”

She took a moment to think how to phrase her query, one that had niggled at the back of her mind for a while. She was sure of herself, safe in her confidence with her abilities, both natural and learned, and yet, she wrestled with herself, wondering if her own confidence made her less able to see her flaws.

“Do you think I’m...overly cautious at times?”

It was the nicest way she could think to bring up her rampant paranoia that seemed to follow her everywhere she went these days. Again, the mansion was meant to be a sanctuary, but here she was, doubting the intentions of those who she was meant to call ally and friend. Times were tumultuous enough without her sowing discord where there was none. And yet, she couldn’t shake the feeling…

@JEAN GREY Sorrier for the longer wait!!
PM
^
JEAN GREY
 Posted: Dec 8 2017, 04:49 PM

27 years old
Marvel Girl
Mutant
94 posts

It was true, what parents and elder had said when they were younger. One day you'd wake up and feel like time had passed so fast, like in the blink of an eye. Standing beside Ororo in the elevator down, Jean truly felt that notion but it wasn't as heavy as she would've expected it to be. It was more... reassuring than anything else. It was strong and didn't seem to flicker. Embedded in that was also gratitude that she had been given that gift, to experience such friendship. While Scott Summers might have been and was her first best friend, Ororo definitely was the second. Thankfully, you weren't limited to one and no doubt, both of those relations had come to be quite differently. They were different, too.

Something all three of them had in common though, was the pinch of maybe not fear, but clarity about what could happen if they lost control of their powers. The marginal was small at best but the one that was the show and tell of them all, was Storm. She couldn't too much afford the shift, couldn't give in too much. Over the years that she had gotten to know the woman, she had tailored an apt control for herself, one that allowed her still to feel, without compromise. Jean knew the signs well, so the scoff that was heard, had the psychic gently raise one brow. She said nothing and proceeded to change into the gear.

She had just corrected the hem of her pants when Ororo asked a question. Jean stood up straight and started to lace her fingers through her hair, preparing to tie it up. "Of course." Hands went up and she ensured swift that her hair would stay tied up, one last tug to assure herself of it too. More surprise bloomed in her expression and her mouth pursed lightly while one hand settled to her hip. "No. That's probably the last thing I'd think about you, Ro." Storm was much like the winds she could summon; they'd go where they wanted to go, the could push forcefully without harming or ill intent.

Jean strode up to her friend and made a reach for both her hands. "What is it that has left such doubt in you? Is it a question of who rather than what?"

@ORORO MUNROE ||

PMEmail
^
ORORO MUNROE
 Posted: Jan 30 2018, 02:25 PM

27 years old
Storm
Mutant
20 posts

Despite her stormy (pardon the pun) attitude, Ororo couldn’t help the smile that lifted the corner of her mouth. She could always count on Jean to give a kind word, even when she couldn’t find one to give herself. She could only hope she supported her friend as much as much as she felt supported.

“Perceptive as always, Jean.” Her tone was slightly sardonic, but not unkind. It was true that Jean’s powers of perception, even beyond her telepathy, were astoundingly astute. She gave Jean’s hands a reassuring, thankful squeeze, before drawing them back gently to sit on the bench. She took a moment, her brow slightly furrowed, to gather her thoughts before she spoke again, picking through each word as if stepping carefully through a field littered with landmines, dangerous and hidden just out of sight.

“There are certain…things about which I cannot quiet my mind. Suspicions that are unsubstantiated and rest in the realm of fantasy, at best. And yet, I allow them to cloud my judgement.”

She couldn’t bring herself to mention a name. Annoyed as she may be after their meeting (and suspicious as she may be about a certain blonde’s intentions), she would never purposefully sow the seeds of discord amongst their team; spreading baseless claims against one of your teammates would only serve to broaden any cracks that may already exist, imagined or otherwise. It was part of the reason she’d come to Jean first, instead of the professor, or even Scott. Jean had such a calming aura that seemed to follow her wherever she went. Just being around her was forcing Storm to carefully consider her thoughts and her next steps, if only to present them as a logically and well-formed argument to her friend.

She let out a sigh of frustration as she stood to her feet again, mere seconds after she’d sat down. She couldn’t sit still, her body feeling as restless as her mind. She paced the length of the small room, taking a deep breath to calm her mind. The...interaction, as it were, was an annoyance, to be sure, but what was more frustrating was how offset she felt, like there was an answer lingering just out of reach that she couldn’t quite grasp. It was on the tip of her tongue, like a word she used everyday that had momentarily slipped from her memory, hiding behind the curtain of her mind, just waiting to be found. More than anything, she was probably overreacting; her sense of judgment may be astute, but it was not infallible, she would be the first to admit. And she would be the first to apologize when she had made a judgment in error. She’d been blessed for years to have found wonderful, lifelong friends amongst the X-Men. It was inevitable that she’d eventually find a coworker she didn’t like.

“I tell myself that I am overreacting, that it is merely my overactive imagination reacting to the realities of the world we live in. I am seeing enemies everywhere, amongst friends, where we’re meant to be safe. I am tearing myself apart from the inside out.”

Just speaking the words aloud helped Ororo to feel better. There were no easy answers to any of the questions that roiled in her mind but she hadn’t been looking for answers. They would reveal themselves, in time. She just hoped that that time wasn’t too late.

“Which is why I need to work off this excess energy. Distract my mind for a spell, trick myself into relaxing.”

She forced a breath as she bent to finish doing up her boots. It was a deflection, pure and simple. The world was large and she was uncertain and she wasn’t sure entirely how Jean would be able to help. She just knew she appreciated her friend’s company.

@JEAN GREY

PM
^
JEAN GREY
 Posted: Feb 6 2018, 12:15 PM

27 years old
Marvel Girl
Mutant
94 posts

It was a rare occasion and instant of where Jean did not have to rely on her powers to understand the connotation hidden beneath the other woman's words. Jean never actively utilized her telepathy for those occasion anyway, but there was certain freedom in being able to know someone well enough to realize that it true understanding, and nothing else. Having known Storm for so long, it made sense and she frankly expected no less from herself at this point. Still, when light was shone onto as if it was a skill, she remained modest. "Or you know, it can be the fact that I've know you for nearly ten years." By the time their hands let go, the psychic then followed Ororo's example, by sitting down on the bench.

For a moment she thought perhaps that her friend wanted to call off the session or had called her away for a different kind of reprieve but as soon as her friend had spoken again, she was standing and then moving the length of the room, as if what bothered her couldn't give her peace. Jean knew that feeling all too well, something she experienced often, always threatening and looming with enough potential force to have her lose her footing. She could tell that the other woman had something else on her mind, so sitting quiet Jean instead leaned downwards across her knees to slip into the comfortable boots, designed to give optimal grip. Even occupied, she could sense Storm's struggle, like static in the air.

Jean sat up straight and rested her hands in her lap, next to one another. Then she lifted her chin and look right at her friend. "Sometimes I think we've gone too long without letting other's in here, and I'm not talking about students. Maybe... we are comfortable in the things we are so used to. Change, it rattles us. It's human." She stood back up, with a smile that was as reassuring as it was composed. To what was said next, she gave a short nod and then lead the way towards the Danger Room. With simple swipes on the panel, she arranged for the setting to be simple but still stimulating, at least hopefully.

Considering her friend literally wanted to work some out of her system, something too intricate didn't seemed like it would be a good idea. "Let's start with some good, old-fashioned target-practice," she said with a chuckle as several targets came into display, the room rendering the environment around them to be an open field, with high cliffs on the sides and tall grass softly moving around their legs.

@ORORO MUNROE ||

PMEmail
^
ORORO MUNROE
 Posted: Feb 8 2018, 01:32 PM

27 years old
Storm
Mutant
20 posts

Human. Sometimes she wondered if she even knew what that meant anymore, if they even should call themselves that. They took such pride in their mutant status, as they would not be cowed into being ashamed of the gifts they had been born with. Yet even in that pride, in separating themselves behind these stone walls for protection, what had they relinquished in the process? All they wanted was peace, yet change, though inevitable, seemed its antithesis.
It was a part of life, Storm knew that more than most. The weather could change in a moment, fair winds turning to blistering hurricanes in seconds. But within that glorious unpredictability was a comforting pattern. Seasons changed, winter to spring, year after year after year. She liked her routine, yet some days she was as steady as the turning of the world, others she raged like the turbulent winds of a gale force hurricane. Perhaps these days of unease, of suspicion, were simply a part of the passage of time, the waxing and waning of the seasons.

“Perhaps you are right. Perhaps I worry for naught, and all my fears are a part of the cyclical nature of...of being human.”

Whether she believed that or not would soon come to light, one way or another. She slid the ornate headband into place, holding her hair back and completing the regal look of her battle suit. The flood of confidence that came with the completion of the outfit was practically automatic; she felt strong, powerful, like the goddess she was once worshipped as. And a goddess knew no fear, knew no doubt. She needed that fresh certainty now. It was never far from hand.

As she stepped through the doors of the Danger Room, she took a deep breath; even this artificial facsimile of nature helped to calm her. It wasn’t so much that she could feel the cold metal and circuitry that lurked beyond the blue sky and bright green grass, but she could feel the lack of true life within the hard shell of the Danger Room. It did its best but there was no true substitute for the raw, practically sensuous power of Mother Nature. The line of targets popped into being across the field, those red ringed circles providing a direct target for their attacks, as if they were archers, preparing to draw back their bowstrings for the winning shot in the King’s tourney. Others floated lazily through the air, the gentlest of movements to create some minor difficulty. They could always adjust the parameters later, increase the difficulty, perhaps turn these targets into more deadly combatants, but it was always nice to start off easy. Sometimes, you just wanted to win. It felt good.

In an instant, Ororo’s fingers were dancing with sparkling electricity. A shot with one hand, then the other, a blast of lightning shooting out of each hand, each finding their marks easily, accuracy born of years of practice, decades of being one with nature itself. The simulated targets exploded in pixelize glory, before reforming once more.

“Mmm, that feels wonderful.”

She spread her arms wide in an exaggerated stretch and out of the clear blue, artificial sky boomed a cacophony of thunder. Now she was just showing off.

“Do you believe you can do better?” she said with a sly smile thrown at Jean. She was goading her friend into a match, a test of power. It would be friendly, of course, but neither woman wa sone to hold back and let the other win. They respected each other too much for that.

@JEAN GREY
PM
^
JEAN GREY
 Posted: Feb 13 2018, 07:21 PM

27 years old
Marvel Girl
Mutant
94 posts

"Of course I'm right." The smile that followed the statement indicated that she wasn't so serious, merely playing on the meaning of the worlds, as it was something that Jean would never claim. There was, however, a grain of truth in that response, soon followed by an important addition. "But just because I'm right, it doesn't necessarily meant that you're wrong or that what you're feeling isn't justified." She almost regretted the expression, knowing fully well that it was distinguished now. If anyone knew what they were capable of, they'd look at them and call them mutants, yet they seemed to be the ones holding onto their humanity the hardest. It was hard to believe in Charles Xavier's dream when every step of the way, someone else forced you to stumble. It was hard to hold on when all it felt like you were doing, was to endure.

"That's better," Jean commented about Ororo's suddenly change of mood, as she herself finished getting dressed for the training session. Her old costume, it was still somewhere in another locker, a piece of iconic material that stood for something she felt she wasn't able to represent these days. Not because she didn't want to or because she lacked the ability, but because in doing so would right now cause more harm than it would do good. Jean would readily go out and face the world and all its injustice but Charles had made the decision. It was odd. Them, the X-Men, retired? It was mortifying and she constantly battled the reason behind the call that had been made.

It was a delight to see her friend embrace the minor challenge in front of them, taking their minds off of anything that wasn't with them in that room. It was welcome, very much so. Despite many of her recently heavy thoughts, Jean didn't too often feel weighed down by them. She had many things that she loved, people too and they were all in close proximity. The pause from the world of heroics, as manufactured as it was, were them well-deserved. Although, of course, being what they were, it didn't exactly feel like a break was an option but that was alright. As long as they had each others, they'd get through.

Ororo's question was was met with a focused glance from Jean and she did a toss of her head to adjust her hair to hang along her back. Her powers manifested themselves differently than her friend's so instead of indicated lightning, Jean's targets instead turned green the moment she'd hit and eliminated them, by the Danger Room's standards. "Child's play." What then followed was a number of moving targets, coming towards the both of them in a rapid succession, designed to have them both work a little harder. Above them hovered a score board. With a the flash of a smile, Jean took to the air tore into the moving targets with her telekinesis, determined to walk out a winner.

@ORORO MUNROE ||

PMEmail
^
ORORO MUNROE
 Posted: Feb 21 2018, 04:15 PM

27 years old
Storm
Mutant
20 posts

Justified. For much of her young life, Ororo had had no one to rely on except herself. Even once she’d been taken in by the village priestess Ainet, she had always been told that what she thought was justified, both her doubts and her certainties. She had so often relied heavily on solely her own opinion that she could so often get caught up in her own mind, going around and around and around in circles until she could no longer tell which way was up. It was quite reluctantly that she had come to trust those around her, that she had come to have faith in her companions, and they had been a boon to the weather witch. She ultimately would still always trust her gut but even a goddess could make use of good counsel.

Ororo smiled at her friend’s playful remark after her attack, her own eyes glowing white as she swung out an arm in command. A line of sheer wind, sharp as a razor and fast as a shot, rocketed at the reformed line of targets, blasting them apart and blowing back her cape. It was in a flurry of that wind that Ororo herself took the air, following her redheaded friend into the skies. The gentle winds cradled her form, their mild touch a facade hiding their true form held at bay behind the veil of her powers.

The skies were full of the moving targets, Jean already making short work of them. Ororo’s fingertips crackled with the power she held at bat, the lightning sparking powerfully as she summoned her powers and then flung them outwards. A chain of lightning snaked between the disparate targets at Ororo’s direction, jumping from bullseye to bullseye and bursting into fragments of light. She gave a laugh, letting the sound spill trippingly through the air. Her eyes falling on her friend, a playful cunning smile played across her face. The wind rose, a stream of air moving purposefully to push against her friend and push her slightly off course as Ororo flew past her at a target in the distance.

“Keep up old friend! We wouldn’t want to have to commit you to a nursing home, now would we!” she called congenially over her shoulder. A little friendly competition did the soul good.

@JEAN GREY ugh this was disgustingly bad D:
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

skin made by mstx at cttw, shine, & atf
toggle sidebar by subdevo and custom forum structure by black