Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) ADD REPLY.  NEW TOPIC.  NEW POLL.  

Mea Culpa, Peccavi, @Matt
Echo / Red Knight
28 years old
136 posts
Mutant
Xeper

So this was it.

Near-death experiences have a way of bringing clarity to a person, and as she'd bled out on the drive back to Hell's Kitchen that fateful night, Maya had found herself in the midst of one. It was an understanding of sorts that, if she'd died in the backseat with Elektra safe and her task accomplished, it probably would've been for the best - not just for her, but for the world in general.

Somehow, she hadn't. Something - unfinished business, vengeance, an unjust world, Chaste training, whatever - had kept her hanging on. And so here she was, sitting on the roof of a tenement building in Hell's Kitchen, leaning with her back against a parapet, waiting for Matt Murdock to arrive. Next to her sat a bag laden with supplies, and a pair of knives were sheathed at her hips, leaving her remarkably less...armed than usual.

She'd notified Matt a few hours ago that she'd be coming by to drop him off some necessities for his short stay in the safe house. Some of them were for Elektra, but Maya suspected the older woman would prefer to move as soon as possible. Understandable; after what she'd been through, the comforts of one's home turf would be a priority.

There was a sense of dread closing in on her. It wasn't the sharp, urgent frisson that often accompanied frightening moments; it was more of a choking, squeezing anxiety pushing down on her chest.

Maybe he'd have forgotten about her words before they'd attacked the Hand - the thrill of saving Ellie, the brawl with the ninjas, the frantic escape back to his territory, all of these things could've preoccupied his mind. But Maya knew enough to give Matt more credit than that. He was smart, he had an incredible eye (pun unintended) for detail, and his memory was keen. So maybe this was where they finally became enemies. She hoped not, but...well. It seemed almost inevitable.

Maya leaned her head back against the wall and closed her eyes, letting out a shaky breath. Her heart was pounding against her sternum, way too fast for her liking, and nothing she tried would slow it down to its usual crawl.

Exhilarating, in a twisted kind of way.

@MATTHEW MURDOCK
Posted: Apr 9 2018, 07:14 PM
Daredevil
31 years old
Defense Lawyer/Vigilante
108 posts
Enhanced
Butch
CST

Matt had received the messsge from Maya about wanting to drop off supplied. A location, the roof, and a time, now. He had been preparing to leave, Elektra and him had the next location chosen, the next place they would go. Matt wished to stay longer, but Elektra wanted to leave. He said he would go along with her plan. He would agree to leave some place she felt safer. She would, chose the next place and he would make sure they got there.

For now though he needed to talk to Maya. After what Elektra said about the Red Knight, and the bloody display shown during the break out. He had a feel he knew what was coming. He prepared hismelf. Prepared to hear what she had to say. She was a killer, he figured this much out. Given Elektra and her both being trained by Stick, it made sense. He saw how Elektra was, how she was trained and learned to fight. The Chaste and Stick were all simialr from what he experienced, same morales. He could see Maya being the same. Yet he feared what she had to say was something worse.

He opened the door to the roof top, stepping out. He was dressed in just a t-shirt and a pain of sweat pants. Resting and reocvery had been the goal, healing. Daredevil was packed away, at least for now. Plus meeting on the roof dressed in the costume didn't seem fitting not if he was staying here. He wanted to speak to Maya as Matt, as a friend, an ally. Not the man in a mask. Plus if Elektra and him were moving after this, he didn't need to be in his costume.

He moved close to her, of bothering with a cane or appearance. But he walked up in front of her and stopped. He made sure she could see his face before he spoke. "How are you holding up? I'm surprised you're back on your feet." He kept his hands at his sides a small he studied the woman before him, her breath, her heartbeat. He studied where she had been the last days. He could learn a lot from he really in just a brief time. Her smell, her heartbeat, the sound of her breath. She was still healing, he could tell that.

"Make sure you thank the driver again. From Elektra and myself." Matt looked to the woman. The driver may have just been doing his job, but he helped out. Without him they wouldn't have made it to Claire's or out of there. Not easily at least.

@MAYA LOPEZ and maybe @ELEKTRA NATCHIOS eavesdropping.

Posted: Apr 13 2018, 04:09 AM
Elektra
31 years old
Adventurer for Hire
185 posts
Enhanced
Cateleya
EST

She’d only promised one more day and she was sticking to that, if for her own sanity and comfort. There was only so much sitting around, meditating and staring at walls she could do and since it wasn’t suggested that she go outside that was about all that was left for her to do. Other then the locked room, the apartment was bare enough it only took a few minutes to go over everything. But at least she had waited till Matt was sleeping in the other room before poking around in that locked one. He had deniability.

What she found in there she didn’t mention to him either but it made her appearance on that roof top not a question of if, just a question of how visible she would be and how actively she would be participating.

She let Matt go ahead of her while she finished tidying the cot and the few things in this place they’d used. They’d planned on leaving as soon as he was done talking with Maya, she’d make sure there was no reason for delay and that they left as good guests without too much mess. She then made her own way up to the roof, lingering the door way, out of sight as she listened to what was going on. It seemed she hadn’t missed much at all.

@MAYA LOPEZ @MATTHEW MURDOCK
Sorry! If it takes me more then a day or two don't bother waiting for me kay?
Posted: Apr 16 2018, 09:56 AM
Echo / Red Knight
28 years old
136 posts
Mutant
Xeper

And, reliable as the death rattle, here came Matt.

He came to a halt on the rooftop in front of her, and Maya raised her eyes to look at him, and for a single fleeting moment, everything felt...different, somehow. They looked like average Joes, for the most part - him in sweatpants and her with an unseasonal sundress - and it almost seemed alien at this point, unnatural. As if 'armored up, bloodied, and throwing down with a group of ninjas' was their default state, and these little human interactions were out-of-context. Maybe that was a fair assessment on her end, at least; Maya hadn't had much in the way of humanity in her life, and a bond like this - forged in battle and adversity and a shared love of Elektra - was so rare that whenever she thought about it, it choked her, tightened up her chest with an odd soaring sensation.

Maybe it was for the best that she'd called him here. That kind of feeling was...not necessarily unwelcome, but it wasn't for people like her. People like her didn't have families or lovers or anything so 'normal', hell, they barely had friends.

"Hey." She smiled up at him, pleased that he seemed to be in good condition. Matt had gotten off the lightest from their little excursion, and having seen him once on the verge of death, she wasn't eager to see him near it a second time. "I...probably shouldn't be, but when did we ever listen to our doctors? I'm at least taking it easy for the next week or so, we'll see what happens from there. You look good, at least, and I expect Ellie's recovering quickly. She's, uh, resilient."

As Maya gripped the edge and pushed herself up to her feet, the sensory cues around her suggested she was telling the truth. She'd been taking care of herself - her injuries had been freshly cleaned and bandaged, judging from the faint antiseptic scent around her - and although there were little spikes of pain here and there as she moved, it clearly wasn't debilitating. Admittedly, she wouldn't be fighting terribly soon, but all in all the prognosis was good.

...although there were little things, odd minuscule tensions, that made her seem just the tiniest bit off. Her heart rate (normally hilariously low) was fluctuating in weird periodic spikes, and sweat was slicking her palms. She was stressed about something, and although her training was proving remarkably effective in keeping it suppressed, it still bubbled under the surface, just waiting.

"I scrounged some stuff up for the move." Picking up the bag, she set it down between them (albeit sort of off to the side). "There's about fifteen grand in unsequenced bills, some extra dressings and disinfectant, painkillers...it's not much, but it's all I could get on short notice. Hopefully these keep you both tided over until you're back on your feet, so to speak."

Maya took a slow breath.

Tell him. You have to tell him. You owe him this much.

"I, um..."

She smoothed down the sides of her sundress, and something about the motion was comforting, familiar - even though there was no one to see (well, as far as she knew - Maya hadn't spotted Elektra hiding out, and was much too distracted to attempt it).

Still, at the last second, her nerve failed her. "I guess we really did it, huh? What are you two planning to do now? Go see the world, get away from all of this, that kind of thing?"

@MATTHEW MURDOCK (and @ELEKTRA NATCHIOS)
Posted: Apr 16 2018, 11:53 PM
Daredevil
31 years old
Defense Lawyer/Vigilante
108 posts
Enhanced
Butch
CST

"I finally managed to get her to take some pain killers. She's restless. Her injuries weren't as severe as yours. But she's trying to rest. We are moving on, it's probably best to changes safe houses anyway." Matt was calm when he spoke, nodding along. He didn't exactly agree with the decision to leave, but he wasn't going to stop Elektra or keep her here.

At least Maya was taking care of herself. He could smell the antiseptic, clean wounds. She was standing, that was good too. He really didn't think she should be up, but he also knew that wasn't going to stop her. Elektra, her, himself, they were all going to keep fighting and pushing. No amount of pain or torture would stop them. Only death would keep them down, and even that didn't seem to last for them. But for now they would keep fighting. They wouldn't stop that any time soon.

"We're staying in the city, the Hands reach expands more than New York, it wouldn't matter where we go. So it made sense to stay in a place we are at least comfortable in. We're thinking of rebuilding, trying to get what we once had, a life beyond the Chaste and the Hand. An identity." In their own way. He didn't know Elektra's exact plan, but he could tell she would be getting back something. He on the other hand planned to get back his life, make sure he got Matt Murdock back alive, go back to being a lawyer. Helping people on both fronts. Those who were wrong as Daredevil, and those who were wronged as Matt Murdock.

Matt looked at the supplies she brought, going over the contents of the bag as it rattled. It would be good to get them going. More than he could ask for. "Thank you. Elektra has resoruces as well so we should be fine. Thank you though. I appreciate it." He nodded again and looked back to where Maya was, just past her. The bag would get them to where they needed to go next. From there they could make it on their own. "You've done more than a enough. It hasn't gone unnoticed."

He didn't move from where he stood, didn't react. But he could sense Elektra coming up, watching from the doorway. He could hear her heartbeat from where he stood, had followed it as it moved up listen in one them. He knew enoug that she would, no matter what he said she would listen in. It was why he didn't say anything to her. He would let her do as she wished.

"What did you want to tell me. Before we broke he returned out you asked me to remind you when we got a chance. We never got that chance. What was it that you wanted to tell me? Is it what's getting you stressed?" He could tell she was, her heart beat was off, she had sweat on her palms. All the time he knew her, the short amount, he didn't see her get stressed or react to being it. "Whatever it is you can tel me."

Matt went silent. He looked back to the door but quickly turned back to Maya. "Is this about the Red Knight. Elektra heard the name, mentioned by the Hand too. Based on what was said, I think I should know what you're involved in. The safehouse, it wasn't meant for stay. It was decked out for combat. For a fight."

@MAYA LOPEZ and @ELEKTRA NATCHIOS

Posted: Apr 22 2018, 03:52 AM
Elektra
31 years old
Adventurer for Hire
185 posts
Enhanced
Cateleya
EST

Reaching the doorway to the roof, she leaned for a moment against the frame. Listening to the chit chat going on, she muffled the not so real urge to yawn over it all. Even if no one could see her here, it felt a little too dramatic of a display. Sight wasn’t everything and she knew at least one person out there would know she was here.

The question she had to ask herself right now was whether she wanted to be a real part of this conversation or just an observer. She’d told herself she had come up here just in case things went sour. Considering what she had found in that locked room, she had a pretty good idea of just what this woman was capable of. What she didn’t know about her was what sort of restraint she had in place. If pushed, if it was necessary, would anyone be safe?

It was Matt’s attention being diverted to the door before mentioning what she had told him, the vague rumors as they were, that decided her. If Maya had noticed that turn of his head she might suspect, so better to come out as if he’d just been predicting her arrival.

Pushing off the door frame, she walked out as if she hadn’t been partial to what they had just been talking about. ”Oh, did she bring my fuzzy slippers?” In a jovial tone as she sighted for a moment on the bag that had been offered. She was joking of course, as she had been joking yesterday when she brought them up. ”You’re looking much better Maya. Decided against the crop top trend I see.” She flashed a toothy smile and moved towards the edge of the building, using its rimmed border to sit on.

Posted: Apr 22 2018, 08:45 PM
Echo / Red Knight
28 years old
136 posts
Mutant
Xeper

Maya had never been in any kind of romantic relationship (hard to maintain one, when your sex drive only started revving over a scene of ghoulish slaughter), and was not especially well-equipped to discuss that particular dynamic with others (lack of affect went a long way there). Nobody was going to take dating advice from a practitioner of what the Germans called lustmord. Despite this, even to her, Matt's devotion to the object of their mutual admiration was clear. The idea of him and Elektra settling down, enjoying something that approached a hard-earned semblance at a normal life, twanged something in her chest that she couldn't quite identify - a weird sort of comfort that nonetheless gnawed cruelly at the underside of her heart.

With a little introspection, she would eventually recognize the source of the odd bittersweet duality. They deserved that normality, and she'd be happy to see them get it, but it was a life that had no room for her in it.

"You don't have to...don't thank me," she answered uncomfortably, although Matt's words brought half a smile to her face despite everything. "I'm glad things turned out like this for both of you. Really. I failed Elektra - I wasn't here for her - but you gave me the chance to make up for that. So thank you." Secretly, she dared to hope that'd be enough to get her out the other end of this thing without incident, but no...just as Maya had expected, he'd remembered their talk.

Well, there was no hiding the thundering of her heartbeat in her ears. Especially compared to how low it typically was, there was no way Matt didn't know - and sure enough, when he confirmed it a moment later, Maya felt her skin prickle with cold dread. Although she'd glanced down and thus missed him being distracted by the door, she did look up in time to catch the follow-up question about the Red Knight. All right. He practically knew already. Time to come clean. It wouldn't do any good to dance around it longer.

"...Yes. That's what's stressing me," Maya replied truthfully. Her arms folded over her chest, as if in a conscious display of her unarmed status. "It isn't...well, it's sort of related to that, yes. Look, this has been a success. We accomplished something important. But now, I think we've got to go our separate ways. I can't get you caught up in the middle of what I'm involved in. Not the Club, and not, um..."

A slow, purposeful breath eased itself out of her lungs. Here it went. She could do this.

"...Right. The truth is, I'm the--"

”Oh, did she bring my fuzzy slippers?”

Maya jerked back as if she'd been struck, flinching at the appearance of Elektra on the roof. Almost immediately, she drew back rather defensively, and glanced between the pair with a momentary look of wariness. Right. In the absolute best of circumstances, she might have been able to beat both of them at once, but in her injured state, this was hardly the best of circumstances. There was a certain comfort in that, in the loss of control. This was a situation she couldn't just murder her way out of, even if she'd wanted to (which, at least in this one case, was anathema).

Her posture relaxed after a moment, though - she was clearly still quite tense, but the realization that Elektra had intruded was a blessing in disguise. It gave her an out, let her back off from the edge of the cliff, so to speak. She smiled as her friend wandered over towards the edge of the roof.

"Trying to get ahead of the curve," she responded. "Stab wounds are already going out of fashion. Go figure." The dry nature of the joke was tempered with a hint of concern. "How are you holding up? Recovering all right? I'm sure Matt's taking care of you, but....you know. Have to make sure."

@MATTHEW MURDOCK @ELEKTRA NATCHIOS
Posted: Apr 27 2018, 09:52 PM
Daredevil
31 years old
Defense Lawyer/Vigilante
108 posts
Enhanced
Butch
CST

"We both failed her. I let her die, I let her get taken by the Hand. I should have placed more care into it. Then I had her back, and I let her get taken again. You weren't the only one who had to make up for this. It meant a lot, your help. Every step of the way. I hope we can keep, working together. No doub the Hand are still going to strike again. I may have another problem that needs your attention as well." Matt didn't know if it would come to that yet though.

He listened to what Maya had to say, what she was stressed about. Stressed about telling him. They had to part ways? Well that was suprsing. He hadn't thought it came to that yet. They worked well together. Elektra needed both of them. If they needed Maya hopefully she would stay. But it didn't seem that way. Here Maya was saying they had to go one, that she didn't want to include him in her business. Matt could reason with that. But cutting all ties, he wanted an explanation..

Sadly he never got one. Elektra cut in, and Matt turned to her. Maybe he should have told her to wait inside. He needed to hear Maya out, what she had to say. But if it was something she tell Elektra that's wouldn't happen with her here. Matt sighed and looked from Maya to Elektra.

As the two women talked Matt studied their heartbeats. Light hearted chatter was never ideal. He could read the situation. Small talk was just a cover up. "Well she seems recovered enough to leave. Not that there was much stopping her either." He smiled to Elektra. "Though it's probably best if we move. Cut ties as you said. Go our seperate ways."

Matt moved to the edge and took a seat beside Elektra. "What were you going to say." He looked to Maya somshe could still see his face, read his lips. "What were you going to admit to?" Matt wanted to hear it, and if he could hear it so could Elektra.

Posted: May 3 2018, 05:05 AM
Elektra
31 years old
Adventurer for Hire
185 posts
Enhanced
Cateleya
EST

There sentiments were touching, really they were. Though an argument, as unheated as it was, over who had failed her more really wasn’t very constructive to the current situation. As much as she wished she remembered the entirety of the night she was killed, for the moment she wasn’t looking for someone to blame. That might change in the future but for now she wanted something more immediate and her revenge was targeted towards a group of much older villains.

Telling her to stay behind wouldn’t have worked. She wasn’t a dog, she was much more like a cat and as such she went where she wanted, when she wanted (and some might say had a certain genetic predisposition to hunt and kill). But she didn’t need Matt’s heightened senses to know that Maya was having trouble, that she was on edge about what ever she thought she had to tell him. If it had anything to do with that locked room she’d looked in, she could understand why. But at least Elektra wasn’t going to judge any further then she had already.

”Too true.” She quipped back. ”I’m a little out of touch but I think scars were coming into fashion before I died?” She smirked at that one. ”I probably missed that one too though.” Just her luck to die and got on a brain washed killing bender during a trend she could really show off happened!

She looked up at the sky for a moment while he answered in her stead, the light of the city drowning out most stars. Perhaps out of long habit though, she had already gotten the hang of making sure her lips were turned towards Maya anytime she spoke. ”Really Matthew, if Maya can be up and about already I think I’m more then fine to do the same. Though you’re welcome to try and stop me. That might be fun.” She grinned, and then spoke more to their friend, ”Well I haven’t gotten a foot rub out of him yet but I still have hope.”

She watched him as he came over to sit by her, her heart doing a double thump all on its own, knowing he’d made he choice to do so. She bumped her shoulder against his affectionately before letting her attention be drawn back to the whole of the meeting. ”Oh yes, don’t let me interrupt.” She pressed her lips together, she’d be quiet now. As quiet as she could. She just hoped she’d released some of the tension in the air up here by helping remind them they were friends. At least she thought they all were.

Posted: May 3 2018, 07:13 PM
Echo / Red Knight
28 years old
136 posts
Mutant
Xeper

Supposedly the truth will set you free, and despite her rigidly Biblical upbringing, that bit of wisdom was not occurring to Maya at this exact moment.

She had managed to get a nod out in response to Matt's assessment of the situation - it was not great, all things considered, but at least they were coming into this from a place of good intent. Matt and Elektra were, all things considered, the only friends she'd ever had. It was critical to let them down easy. Even if the revelation of the Hellfire Club put them on incompatible sides, she didn't want to be their enemy, not after all the blood, sweat, and tears that had gone into reuniting these two.

"Part of that was about the resources we used to get Ellie. I...couldn't get those on my own, I needed more than I could've managed. So I had to rely on my patron for some of them, and...okay, I'm getting off track. The real thing I was saying, um..."

One last time, her nerve failed her, and it was fortunate that Elektra was there to fill the momentary silence. She seemed to be in a decent mood, all things considered - unlike Maya, who was a nervous wreck, and Matt, who didn't need enhanced senses to know that he'd gotten into the middle of something serious.

Although Maya was not a person who got massaged on a regular basis (or ever, really - one of the downsides to being antisocial), she smiled nonetheless at Elektra's response. "Well, you have all the time in the world," she quipped to the other woman, and perhaps it was the act of saying so, the realization that they'd succeeded and no matter what happened now, nothing could change that...maybe it was that feeling that made the tension finally begin to trickle out of Maya's frame, and spurred her to action. She took a single, measured, breath, and then, as if pre-empting the possibility of losing her nerve, it came bursting out in an uncontrollable torrent: "I'm the Bed-Stuy Butcher. It's me. It's all me, uh, except one time earlier this year, that was a copycat, but I took care of that situation. All me, otherwise."

Strange. Saying all of that to someone, for the first time ever, felt like a weight lifting off her shoulders. There really was a certain catharsis in confession. Her nerves were still alight, but her heart had slowed to a much more manageable pace. Huh. No matter what came of this, it did feel kind of nice to have gotten it off her chest at last. The truth will set you free.

"So..." Her gaze was steady, in a deliberate kind of way, as it fell across Matt. "...maybe you understand why I don't want you caught up in this."

Posted: May 4 2018, 09:16 PM
Daredevil
31 years old
Defense Lawyer/Vigilante
108 posts
Enhanced
Butch
CST

Matt listened between Maya and Ellie. The friendly banter, Elektra was a lot more casual about this. Maya was mess. He heart beating, she was nervous. Matt went between the two of them, turning his attention to one than the other. Neither woman should be up after what just happened. But he wasn't going to argue that. Moving was the best bet, they'd probably leave as soon as they were done here. Let Maya have the place back to herself.

He heard the breath escape Maya's lips as he turned to her, listening to what she said. He started straight ahead, not saying anything just listening as she went on. The Bed-Stuy Butcher. The serial killer in Brooklyn. He blinked a few more times still taking it in. There was disbelief on his face, as if he couldn't comprehend what was just said. Maya killed people, regularly. Enough that she had a name for herself.

The incident with the Hand, he closed off room. The smell of blood in the air. It made sense. Somehow Matthew already knew this. He knew she was a killer. She killed to get ahead. He used what she was to get what he wanted. "You're the Bed-Stuy Butcher?" He let out breath of frustration. His hands went to the back of his head as he turned around. She killed people, was a serial killer. Of course she was. He turned back to her so she could see him.

"You kill people. Taking their lives. Should have known, Stick's lessons tend to stay with you." He sighed again. "And you knew this," His eyebrows raised as he looked to Elektra. She had tried to warn him about something, hinted at it. The Red Knight and the Bed-Stuy Butcher. A killer. A killer he worked with. Used.

"You're right. I want no part of this. Any of it." He motioned at her with his hand. First Frank Castle, now Maya. He was starting to think everyone he came across in aide was a killer. Taking the lives they deemed lost. Matt sighed again. "How many?" He paused. "How many lives? Who were they to you?"

Posted: May 8 2018, 02:48 AM
Elektra
31 years old
Adventurer for Hire
185 posts
Enhanced
Cateleya
EST
Elektra really was only trying to help, the tension up here was to thick when she stepped out that the fact that they were on an open aired roof was almost forgotten. And suspecting what was about to be revealed, she had good reason to believe at least one person would be blowing up over it all. Possibly two if he got too insulting and depending just how much Maya’s feelings of guilt would let her take. Which was the question, she didn’t know the woman enough to know if there was really much guilt at all.

After having peeked into the locked room she did have a better idea on just what was about to be told. Or might be. Again, she was out of step here, it might be something else entirely but she knew how Matt would feel about that room and its contents. Right now though, she needed both of these people. Sure she could have gone on her own and probably managed just fine but these two, they both represented links to her past and what had happened to her. So sue her if she didn’t want them to break apart completely.

As Maya came out with it finally and Elektra tensed but let Matthew get up. Trying to get him to sit still with her wouldn’t have worked. The serial killings, the name, it was actually new information for her. Gleaned from what she had found in that room. She hadn’t known it when she’d tried to warn him with the rumors she’d heard while in the Hand. But she could only look at him quietly when he accused her of knowing. It wasn’t untrue, just her timing was different from what he suspected. It didn’t matter though.

She winced though at his final questions for Maya. Why was he going to torment himself with that information? It wasn’t like he could have done anything for them. Her eyes came up, glancing at Maya but she had no helpful words to offer just yet. Instead she stood up and hoped this wasn’t about to get physical.

@MAYA LOPEZ @MATTHEW MURDOCK Sorry she wasn't more help Maya!!
Posted: May 8 2018, 02:03 PM
Echo / Red Knight
28 years old
136 posts
Mutant
Xeper

Well, here we were. The cat was out of the bag now, and no amount of regret or hesitation would put it back in.

Maya was thoroughly prepared for Matt to be upset at her. He was well within his rights, as far as she was concerned; the revelation of who he'd been working alongside would be devastating to any normal person, but to the Devil of Hell's Kitchen, with his particular code of ethics, she expected it was a particularly bitter pill to swallow. So she met his gaze and withered the storm, all the disappointment and shock and frustration, right up until he turned on Elektra - and then, at last, she took a cautious step forward.

"She didn't know." The sense of cold, paralyzing anxiety was beginning to recede - maybe ripping off the proverbial band-aid had been a good idea. There were no outcomes left to fear, only situations to deal with. "My organization's fought the Hand in the past, that's where she heard about me. Ellie didn't have anything to do with this."

Her hackles were up under the barrage of questions, though, and especially the accompanying burst of movement. Matt was gesturing now, Elektra had stood up despite her sympathetic gaze - there was tension in the air, building like static. Despite herself, Maya felt her spine stiffening. She'd confided this for his sake, not so she could be interrogated.

"It doesn't matter how--" The first couple syllables came out harsh and truncated, defensive, and a moment passed before the Red Knight realized she'd taken a step forward. She let out a slow breath, trying to keep herself steady, and then spoke with a semblance of her usual flowing calm. "Look. Who they are? They're scum. Killers of the innocent. Rapists. Drug pushers. They're predators, and they exist only to harm people weaker than them. But now? Not anymore." There was a cold gleam in her eye, one Matt had never seen before. An odd sort of mania. "Now they're part of something bigger. Something...with meaning to it."

She'd almost said 'something beautiful'. Even now, that felt natural, which probably should have been a warning sign, but there was a lot more to focus on right now.

"But I understand we don't see eye to eye on that. And I respect you..." Maya hesitated a moment, then straightened back up. "...no, I like you. You both mean a lot to me - more than anybody else in the world. I don't want to get you caught up in something that could put you in danger, or have you associated with my actions."

Posted: May 12 2018, 05:01 PM
Daredevil
31 years old
Defense Lawyer/Vigilante
108 posts
Enhanced
Butch
CST

Elektra didn't know, at least that was comforting. He wondered if Stick did. His former student a killer on the streets of New York. Probably thought she was doing good in the world. Matt could only put both his hands behind his head and let out a sigh. This was Frank Castle all over again. Taking the lives they thought worthy to take. Cleansing the streets. Only Frank was doing it for revenge, what was Maya's reason?

"Something bigger? They're dead Maya. They aren't a part of anything. Any hope that might have been there, any chance at redemption, and it's gone now. There's a system for a reason Maya. It works. Justice needs to be given, not death. Killing people is not the answer to it. You take the only chance they have at turning around and it take it all away." Matt couldn't see the gleam in her eye, but he could see her body changing, calm about it all. When Matt clearly wasn't.

He was tensing, balling his fists. He looked to her, and then Elektra. The other assassin had been there too. But she had been working at changing that. Matt hoped they would continue to work at that, and that Maya could too. Finally he settled in Maya, looking in her direction. "You don't get to make that call. You don't get to decide if they die or not. There's a law that needs to be upheld, rights. There's hope, of something better. But every life you take that hope dies out along with it." His fists were still balled, still tense.

"Do you know how many widows and orphans you left out there? How many lives you ruined by doing what you did? You have no right taking their life, destroying what was there. There's always a second chance, always another choice. You don't get to take that away." He looked to Elektra hoping she'd have some input on it.

"You're right I don't want to be associated with this. With any of it. With you. I appreciate what you've done for me, for Elektra, for all of us. But I can't be dragged down to your level." He looked straight ahead, his face set in stone, still tense, angered. "I'm done here, we're done here. You and me. Better hope the DareDevil doesn't catch you in your act." With that Matt turned toward, the door, moving towards it. He stopped when he reached it though, turning back around.

He looked to Maya. "I had high hopes from you. I thought you were better than this. I should have known better." He had trusted her, and she had broken this trust.

Posted: May 17 2018, 04:46 AM
Elektra
31 years old
Adventurer for Hire
185 posts
Enhanced
Cateleya
EST

It was kind of Maya to stand up for her though it wasn’t needed. Elektra could have shot something back but she didn’t feel it was worth it. He was right, she knew, she hadn’t known when she warned him but she’d known before he’d come up here to meet with Maya and she could have warned him again with better information. Ultimately it couldn’t be changed and the only thing she thought it would have changed was that he probably would have come up here ready for a fight, already spun up over it.

She glanced over at the other woman, still holding her own position, letting Matthew be the one moving, the one gesturing and talking. Elektra kept her own counsel on it all for the time being. Honestly, she was sure most women would have be glad to hear there were few rapists on the streets. Fewer people to prey on their children. But women had always been the more practical ones. The more dangerous ones as well.

He kept turning as if glancing at her and it made her uncomfortable. As if she was being put on the block for judgment along with Maya. Sure, she had done things, she could argue that but if she was being judged she felt like she should have been given a better chance to defend herself. This was more like a silent judgment, the end result of which she wouldn’t know.

What was there to say that he hadn’t already? Elektra couldn’t say she mirrored his feelings on the subject, feeling far more neutral on the subject. No matter if she didn’t appreciate some of the pictures she had found in that room she wasn’t someone that had any right to judge this woman. She sighed as Matthew started winding down, or getting to that point where his words were running out. ”Enough, lets go.” Brow beating one another wouldn’t accomplish anything either.

She started for the door as well, though she was slower. Pausing a moment, she looked at Maya. ”Thank you for helping him. And me.” She nodded, a silent understanding. She wasn’t choosing between them right now but it was all she could offer Maya at the moment. Her and Matthew would probably have further talk of this but right now she didn’t have the feeling anything she said would be that welcomed. In time maybe she could get through to him, right now his words were harsh and for her they hurt. She had a feeling she had weathered similar ones from him before. Or maybe she felt she should have if life was fair.

Posted: May 17 2018, 04:50 PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

TOPIC OPTIONS.  Pages: (2) 1 2  ADD REPLY.  NEW TOPIC.  NEW POLL.  

skin created exclusively for WITH GREAT POWERS by NOÄ of CTTW.
RPG-D Shadowplay Topsites Marvel Topsites

Candyland Couture Δrk City Break the Wheel: a Season 7 GOT AU GODS AMONG MEN ideal world “WOK”/ GLITTER & GOLD A marvel infinity war rp Marvel Heroes RPG